Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Able-bodied Privileges

I have never placed much thought into my ability to walk from place to place. In school, I’m able to use my hands to type an essay, give my teachers a high-five, or do push-ups in PE. It wasn’t until my friend had broken his wrist that I had realized my able-bodied privilege. Going to the gym had become impossible for him. Taking a shower had become a daunting mission to undertake. Even eating had become an awkward ritual where the utmost focus was needed to guide the food correctly.

As horrible as the situation was, he was able to recover—a luxury not available to all disabled individuals. Although able-bodied privilege is easy to notice, it is just as easy to ignore. People tend to ignore those with disabilities as it makes them uncomfortable. Rather than take the time out of their day to support these individuals, it is easier to ignore them. I have made it my goal to see the able-bodied privilege in my day-to-day life, attack how society avoids the issue at hand, and utilize any possible solutions to help those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment