Thursday, May 14, 2020

Privilege Further Explored

I have come to realize a few faults in the study conducted that I analyzed the previous week. While I initially saw it as incredibly thorough, I have come to realize how the study 'whitened resumes' to be bad. Resumes had been whitened by changing ones employment from 'Engineering Union' to 'African American Engineering Union'. Those who had just written 'Engineering Union' were hired at a significantly higher rate than their counterparts. While initially I took this as a factual demonstration of the de facto discrimination facd by minorities, I have new thoughts on the study itself.

I have come to believe that this choice was justified. I don't think there is anything wrong with choosing workers from a diverse organization over a racially exclusive one. In addition, being president of a larger union with people of all races should be seen as more valuable than being in charge of only one specific race. There is nothing wrong with wanting someone of diverse experience in alarger group. If there are any identifiable discriminatory acts against African Americans, then I believe action needs to be taken. However, in regards to this, it is not as apparent.

No comments:

Post a Comment